Saturday, January 4, 2020

Between The Sips: where to start? The beginning of course.



I sit at our usual table waiting for Roxie to arrive.  I think about the many mornings and the many mornings we have spilled the beans.  These magical morning mocha meetings began as a way to chat over coffee before the workday so we didn’t have to get to work too early. 
Roxie arrives in her usual cheerfulness and saunters over to the cashier. I catch her before she orders.
“Rox - over here. I got your usual”
“Thanx, girlie, will pick up yours tomorrow”
“It’s been a crazy morning and its not even eight AM. Dropped Joelle off at her preschool and spoke with the DH at least 4 times about tonights girls night out.  He definitely is trying to come up with reasons I can’t go”
“Putz. You must go. You definitely need some time away. And you know, when it is time to go, turn off that cell”
We speak candidly about the controlling man I married and lunch plans.  “Cheap Chinese today?” One of our favorite meals of a split lunch special and an extra order of soup. This may change depending on how the complexities of our day and our workloads ensue. It may rain, and then it would be a pho day. 
She is the reason for my morning mocha madness - but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Years later and several jobs and states away, she still is always with me spiritually. 

We may appear to be talking mundane nonsense, but between those thoughts, are deeper questions regarding the status of my work relationships, goals and marriage.

3 comments:

Nevigenaid said...

It was all going along beautifully until the next to the last paragraph threw me off. Several states away? Years later?? So is this really happening, or a remembrance, or a flashback? The tenseis the same, so it makes things confusing.

In general, tho, I love it! It's a great start!

Diane Given said...

What a wonderful idea for a book! <3 Looking forward to it!

Nancy Watson said...

I tried to respond to your comment.. on blogger... but you are right. I am writing this as a memoir and advice and coffee chatter from all the women/men I have sipped beverages with.

Between The Sips: where to start? The beginning of course.

I sit at our usual table waiting for Roxie to arrive.  I think about the many mornings and the many mornings we have spilled the beans...